It’s spring in Wilmington, meaning longer days, warmer weather and a fresh blanket of pollen! For those of you who suffer from allergies, here are a few tips to help fight your symptoms:
- Check the local pollen counts to help you prepare yourself for the day ahead. If high pollen counts are forecasted, take allergy medications before your symptoms start.
- Avoid outdoor activity in the early morning when pollen counts are highest.
- Close your doors and windows at night or at other times when pollen counts are high.
- Remove clothing and shoes you’ve worn outside and avoid hanging clothes to dry on a clothesline.
- Shower more frequently to rinse away any allergens that may have settled on your skin and hair during the day.
- Use high-efficiency air filters and keep indoor air dry with a dehumidifier.
- Vacuum floors frequently, to pick up any pollen brought inside.
- Stay indoors on dry, windy days. The best time to go outside is after a good rain, which helps to clear the pollen from the air.